One very important aspect of hearing appliances – whether it’s a hearing aid, hearing protection or hybrid of those products – is the custom fit. At West Family Hearing, our patients find overwhelmingly that a custom fit is an integral part in their satisfaction with hearing devices. A product that fits in the ear must stay put but be comfortable. The goal at West Family Hearing is to provide devices that you forget are in place over time, and function exactly as they are intended.
An important part of this process is the custom earmold used to fit your hearing aid. The outer and middle parts of the ear are flexible and move as we talk and chew. The bones of the jaw connect just below the ear canal (if you chew while holding a finger in your ear, you might be surprised at how much movement there is).
All of this is considered when creating your earmolds. Hearing aids and hearing protection made from earmolds require an exact fit in your ear to function properly. Earmolds must fit comfortably, be durable and easy to clean.
Earmolds are made using impressions of your exact ear. The material is firm, but pliable, and shouldn’t cause any discomfort or pain. An earmold can serve as the body of your hearing device by helping to amplify sound, or as a hearing protector.
There are many uses for custom earmolds, including: noise reduction for musicians, heavy industry workers, construction, hunters and shooters, and more. Earmolds help form a barrier to keep dangerous noise levels from damaging your auditory system.
Earplugs are another option when it comes to hearing protection. While cheaper versions can be purchased at most drugstores, some individuals require a custom earplug to provide a tighter, more secure fit. They are compact and very light. Ear protection has evolved to the point that earplugs can be customized to allow certain volumes and frequencies through to the middle ear or block virtually all sound.
These custom products are ideal for someone whose spouse snores, swimmers, musicians, industrial workers, hunters and anyone who encounters loud environments on a regular basis. Musician’s earplugs are customized to allow clear musical notes to be heard, while reducing to more damaging frequencies and volumes.
West Family Hearing has the experience and dedication to test your hearing and recommend the right hearing aid or hearing protection for your everyday needs.
Hunting, shooting, and sudden noise. A filter instantaneously closes when damaging noise levels are reached. Allows essentially normal hearing at all other times.
Ideal for performing musicians and concert-goers. Also great for flight attendants, bartenders, waiters, dental professionals. Allows wearer to hear sounds accurately but at reduced levels. Have 3 filter options: 9dB, 15dB or 25dB.
For swimming and showering – and they FLOAT! Also provide superb noise reduction.
- Offers comfortable and uninterrupted rest.
- Great for shift workers and credited with saving many relationships!
- Designed with a hollow canal for under helmet use to reduce wind buffeting.
- Comfortable and easy to remove.
- Designed to prevent surfer’s ear and swimmer’s ear caused by exposure to cold water and wind.
- The floatable material is molded with a sealed membrane spanning the sound bore that keeps cold water and air out of the ear canal but allows for conversation and hearing while in the ear.
Ideal for high-noise industrial environments.
For use with any bud/button style earphones.
- Amplification for situational awareness.
- Noise attenuation when you pull the trigger.
- Game mode: Optimized for intermittent shots.
- Clay mode: Optimized for continued shots.
- Normal mode: provides standard Digital 1 features.
- Wind Reduction mode: Ideal for shooting in windy conditions.